Saturday, February 5, 2011

Almost a smile! 5 week old

I really think this morning Oliver smiled at me! I gave him the night feed and then Mike this morning got up and fed him so that I could sleep in, and then when I got up and saw Oliver he almost smiled seeing me!! So so cute!

Anyhow, all is good here, Oliver still has a good few dirty nappies during the day but doesn't seem to be too bothered. He's awake for much longer periods (which freaks Mike out as he doesn't know what to do with him yet!) and still very happy and sweet. Now that I'm home alone all day I do feel quite tired by the time is evening and Mike is still learning how to put on the reusable nappies...so not really able to be on his own with Oliver for a few hours yet. Sure if he was spending more time maybe his confidence would also improve...we re working on it.

My mom as already booked a new flight to come and stay with us for another couple of weeks, I never thought I'd be feeling this way but I can't wait to have some company and help. I have come to totally admire those mothers who have twins and are on their own. Hats off to you all girls, I have no idea how you managed!

A bit happening next week. I have my 6 weeks check up on thursday and I'll try to book Oliver's check up on the same day. Mike on the other hand is playing football...ah well. I'll also go to the clinic probably monday or tuesday so that the Favourite Doctor can meet the little man and I may ask incidentally when can we talk again about things and future moves...

Breast feeding or expressing has officially stopped. So another thing I'll do next week is to return the pump. I'm glad I tried. I am even gladder I stopped when I realised it was ruining my time with Oliver. So on with the bottles! And here's a pic of my little boy for you all.

The little aviator sleeping

13 comments:

Christa said...

So cute! I hope I get the chance to meet him in May!!

BB said...

Smiles are precious... I am glad you are at peace about bf'ing... happy Mommy and happy Babby is what matters

daega99 said...

He's so lovely!

Smiles are amazing - and you'll get tons of them!!!

Life Happens said...

He is adorable! So glad your mom is coming to spend time with you guys.

Kakunaa said...

Oh, my goodness, what a cutie! And I am so glad your mom is coming to visit again so you have some adult company. Just being on bedrest I went a bit bonkers for company, so I can imagine.

He will get the hang of it :) Seriously, you might need to get out of the house for a few hours just to give him a trial by fire. Sometimes it's the best way to learn.

Chelle said...

I think my daughter started to smile right around 5 weeks too. Its the cutest thing in the world, isn't it? Just wait until he can smile and say "Mama!" when he sees you. HEART MELTING!

Cool news about your mom coming back to help you out. That is so sweet of her. Of course, I am sure she doesn't mind being around her new grandbaby. ;)

I have a ton of respect for couples with twins and single moms too. I can't even imagine what a horrible mess I would be in either of those situations!

Anonymous said...

He truly gets cuter and cuter! I'm glad your mom will be back to spend more time with you. I didn't have much help either (at least Mike is really trying) and I know it can be overwhelming. It's good you don't have to frustrate things by messing with the breast pump anymore. And Mike can help with the bottle feeds so you can have a few minutes to get out of the room by yourself. Big hugs to you.

Nick and Kristi said...

What a sweet little pic:) Looks so content.

Glad you are able to move on from the nightmare that Breastfeeding/Pumping was for you..You def gave it above and beyond chance!

Cape Girl said...

What a beautiful boy!! Congratulations. I've had a struggle with breastfeeding, too. And I completely agree with you about acknowledging people for taking care of their babies!! It's definitely the hardest job I've ever had!!!

Alex said...

What a great picture - adorable! I'm glad your mom will be able to come help. And a smile - melting my heart!

Anonymous said...

He's a cutie for sure - wish I could give him a cuddle :)

Sending you both love.

xxx

Mrs. Lemon said...

Ah, he is truly amazing. I retrieve tomorrow. Hoping for extra good luck and reading your success story over and over!

Adele said...

Cutie pie! He's lovely, Fran. I'm glad your mum is coming out - I can imagine how it makes a difference to have that company and help. And as far as the breastfeeding, you gave it your all. That's all anyone can ask and, especially, that's all you can ask of yourself. (And like I may have said, I know several kiddies whose mums didn't breastfeed, for various reasons...they're the picture of health, every single one).