Thursday, July 23, 2009

9 eggs collected

Thank you all so much for the messages of good wishes...I brought them all with me this morning!

I wore my planned outfit (a very comfy track suit my sister gave to me as a present).

I got to the clinic by 8.30 as indicated. I took my two pills of painkillers also at 8.30 am as indicated. At 9.15 am I was still in the waiting room....waiting. Should I not have the procedure done at 9.30 am (35.5 hours after trigger)?? WTF is going on?? They make your head explode by telling you constantly how important it is that you get your trigger done EXACTLY at the time they tell you, NOT half an hour before, NOT half an hour after. Of course I went to reception and asked what was going on, they said they call theatre to find out. Anyway, a few minutes later the nurse came up brought me and Mike down to the recovery room next to theatre, and in two seconds I was wearing the gown. But I could har the doctor talking to another lady, going through all the signed consent forms and explaining her the procedure. So she went in when I thought I should have been in.


Needless to say I freaked out. Mike was fantastic, he called the nurse, told her I was very worried about this delay and that we knew timing is paramount in EC so how come we are late? She was lovely too, of course she said it's not that the follicles start popping on the second and that 36 hours after trigger is perfect timing and she went into theatre to ask the doctor just in case. But at this pace I'll be getting my eggs out well after 36 hours (which in my mind was the absolute latest that should happen). The one in theatre before me was there for maybe 20 minutes, so I thought we are still on time!
At 9.55 the doctor came to us and we went (very quickly) through the consent forms etc. He said to go to the loo and that he'll be waiting for me in the theatre. I went, nearly no pee at all, out in a flash. And then this moron from the lab came out to us saying he had to confirm our identity and take the pics. Ok, moron, hurry up though! He was as slow as a dead snail, I was looking at his watch, 10.05 am. Took the pics with some kind of device and then said to us he had to do it again as the device wasn't sending the pics to the lab. WTF WTF WTF, tried again, still not working (10.10 am), he went to the lab to take a second device, still not working. I was almost in tears. Mike said "can we not do this later?" and he said "yes of course" (moron!! we've been there one and half hour where the hell were you?). I could hear the docor asking the nurse what was the delay about... I went in for the procedure possibly at 10.20.

I suppose it went well, I don't remember anything and I have no pain at all even now. Like I had absolutely nothing done. And then I slept and slept and slept. When I was waking up a bit, the nurse came talking to me and said it went very well, they got 9 eggs. I thought "great, they got eggs!" But since then I'm obsessing over numbers, over the quality of the eggs if the retrival was in fact done bit late (had the best popped already?), and of course over the phone call we have to wait for tomorrow between 4 and 7 pm to find out how many were good eggs and how many fertilised.

10 comments:

daega99 said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope you receive a great fert report.

ICLW #52

BB said...

Thanks for stopping by... I have been dazed the whole afternoon, so just catching up on the blogosphere. Glad everything went well. Thinking about your popping hypothesis, I wonder if mine popped too... reducaing them by 50%? Hmmm... something to research about! They took 27 out... I am trying not to think about the fertilization part... or else I am going to start freaking out! Good luck!

Melissa G said...

9 is still a very good number. I'm crossing my fingers that you have some wonderful embies to transfer and a few more for the freezer!

Hang in there!

Best When Used By said...

I was holding my breath as I read through your post, thinking, "Come on, come one! She's got to get in there...why all the hold up???" and I wanted to be there to shout at them for you! I would have stroked out at seeing someone else go in the room ahead of me. So I think you handled it gracefully under the circumstances. Nine eggs! Okay, little niners, we're hoping and praying that you are grade AA and do an Irish jig in the petri dish with the swimmers! Can't wait for the fert report and sending you lots of love and good thoughts.

valentina said...

let's think about the good one!

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/188626/1/Humpty-Dumpty,-Illustration-For-The-Nursery-Rhyme-By-Lewis-Carroll-1832-98.jpg

remembering our wonderland before sleeping

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! I don't know why but this snuck up on me... for some reason I didn't think it was time for your retrieval already!! 9 is a fabulous number Fran. I can truely understand your concern about your timing and all though. I will be praying for a good reports over these next few days!! So excited for you!

Oh, and thanks very much for the scrap award! So sweet of you!

Big hugs! Rest easy these next couple days and make sure to get plenty of pampering in :)

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Good luck with the 9!

Hope you recover from the ER quickly.

Flower said...

9 is great. KUP with the fert report. I can't wait to hear your good news.

Anonymous said...

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Stopping by for an ICLW visit...
No. 95: The Unfair Struggle (male-factor infertility, good friends, neighborhood rumblings)

Clare said...

Ugh i hate waiting with no reason, especially when time is of the essence! I feel your frustration!! But nine is great, im so happy for you, wishing the best with the fertilization report!